Saturday, August 20, 2011

Saturday Artisan: Hopscotch Couture

Meet this week Saturday Artisan: Marelle of Hopscotch Couture.
What unique about Marelle's works? Over 95 percent of all items in our accessory line are made from previously loved, vintage treasures Vintage goes modern - La Marelle Couture as she says.
You will love her works! Read our interview below to find out how she contributes to the society. I truly admire her. 


Tell us a bit about yourself and what arts/ crafts that you make?
I turn vintage finds such as jewelry, fabrics, hardware and trimmings into modern wearable art. With the proceeds from my shop I fund the Hopscotch Hands on Exhibit for the Blind, a three dimensional art exhibit of celebrities for the blind to view by touch.



Which part of creation process that you like to do the most? 
My favorite part really is making purses with pieces that are unexpected. Some of my purses have working clocks in them and quite a few of them have brass legs. It is always fun to place an unusual item on a purse and see that it really does work. Naming each purse is quite enjoyable also.


What inspires you? 
The vintage pieces I find really do inspire me, At times I will find a vintage purse or piece of hardware that I just can't wait to use. Other times an idea for an entirely new item will come from a vintage find. With vintage materials comes a history, an unknown past. Giving them new life is all the inspiration I need. 



What is your favorite tool that you cannot live without? My needle nose pliers without a doubt. They are used in just about every single project. 



What is your goal for 2011? And are you on the right track? My goal for this year was to get the word out about what I do for the blind and to be able to schedule more exhibits for them. I have to say, being on Etsy has helped me exceed my goal and made it possible to do what I love. My next exhibit will be in October at the Pennsylvania Blind Association's yearly convention.


Saving money is important; tell us one thing that you do to save money? One way to cut down on cost is in the packaging. I use boxes from craft stores, cover the old writing with pretty papers and ship out with them. The boxes are beautiful and I am able to keep my shop at 95% recycled materials. 


Any advice for others running their on-line shop? For me, it is all about customer service. Make the process an experience for your client not an ordeal. Respond immediately with their questions or orders. Let them know how much you appreciate them and pack their items up as if you were sending a loved one a gift. I always include a thank you card and many times a free gift. More information on what I do and my exhibit for the blind can be found in this newspaper article done on me recently.

7 comments:

  1. I love how you describe your designs in the Weekender Marelle: “Only One for the One and Only You,”, they truly are OOAK!

    Thank you Nat for such a lovely interview. Thank you Marelle for sharing your aspirations for the blind, you are such an inspiration. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Marelle, your crafts are beautiful - I love how you've merged funky and elegant. And I think you'll be very successful but only because you're talented but because you understand the importance of customer service! You'd definitely be a seller I would love to buy from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with your work, you craft so well with bags. I wish I could own them all! I would love to see more of your inventive bags as well as lovely custom jackets

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned that she loves to combine different materials for purses including working watches.

    clenna at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew about the exhibit for the blind. That was really interesting to hear about.

    Beautiful pieces! I really love the bracelets you create especially, and the fact that you recycle older pieces as well as your packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the kind words. It really makes what I do more rewarding. I think that the saying is true, when you love what you do you never work a day in your life. For me, the most rewarding part is making people happy with my work. I find it wonderful to take broken and discarded items and turning them into something beautiful. Each on their own wouldn't be nearly as stunning. I welcome other artists who would like to participate in this art exhibit. Just drop me a line if your interested.

    Again, thank you so much for your words of encouragement.

    Marelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite is the Metal handbag, steam-punk, goth, silver n black, OOAK, La Marelle Couture designs, vintage modern.

    -Heidi

    writeme at heidimail dot com

    ReplyDelete